The bank at a glance
Hamburg Commercial Bank – The Commercial Bank
Hamburg Commercial Bank is a private commercial bank that resolutely looks at things from the perspective of its mostly medium-sized corporate clients. Its specialists are experienced and pragmatic while being courteous and dealing with you at eye level. For our Bank, an attentive relationship with the client is a much-prized value in itself, and it provides our clients with efficient solutions to complex challenges. The roots of our Bank are in the north; the institution is also represented in the German metropolitan regions and in select markets of Europe and Asia.
Hamburg Commercial Bank operates its corporate client business with experience and sector knowledge, always closely linked with the expertise gained from its focused capital markets business. In commercial project finance in the real estate, renewable energies and infrastructure segments, our commercial bank ranks among market leaders. In shipping, our commercial bank focuses on strong partners in the maritime sector at home and abroad; in the latter, we have a presence in Athens and Singapore. Tailored finance for medium-sized businesses and a high level of structuring expertise including syndications characterise our Bank, as do its payment services and risk-hedging products. Expert advice in corporate finance round off its range of services.
Hamburg Commercial Bank AG is the first privatised landesbank (formerly HSH Nordbank AG) in Germany. Since 28 November 2018, our Bank has had the following independent shareholders: Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., J. C. Flowers & Co. LCC, GoldenTree Asset Management LP, Centaurus Capital LP, funds initiated by these and by BAWAG P.S.K. At 30 September 2018, Hamburg Commercial Bank AG had total assets of around € 61 billion and shareholders’ equity of some € 4.3 billion.
- Corporate client business for upper medium-sized enterprises with long-term client focus and in-depth sector expertise. Growing standing among family-run companies across Germany
- Project financing business in Germany
- Our focal industry sectors where we have particular expertise: healthcare, food, trading, infrastructure & logistics/rail and energy & utilities
- Considerable expertise and extensive product range covering all issues that are important to our clients
- Competent, solution-oriented partner for corporate finance products
We offer solutions for Corporate Clients:
Real Estate Clients
- Recognised industry sector specialist with considerable market expertise, among the top 5 commercial real estate financers in Germany
- Relationship approach with long-term client relationships based on trust
- All credit and other banking products that are relevant to real estate companies
- Focus on Northern Germany with supra-regional activities in the regions surrounding major cities
- All-in solutions for wealthy and high net worth private clients
- Wealth management at the level of leading global managers of private and institutional assets
- Advising foundations and non-profit organisations as well as in the areas of social investment and philanthropy
- Over 75 years of industry sector expertise
- Our financing offerings include long-term ship mortgage loans, corporate financing and structured ship financing.
- Focussing on solutions tailored to specific needs in the main sectors of container vessels, tankers and bulk carriers, but also in the area of special vessels - in particular in the offshore segment.
Saving Banks & Institutional Clients
- Comprehensive consulting services for savings banks in their core business segments “private and corporate clients”, treasury/depot-A-management as well as loan portfolio management
- Demand-oriented solutions to savings banks specific challenges
- Provider of innovative products and services
Treasury & Markets
- Efficient and innovative provider of products for all client segments
- Profound know-how in capital-market products, especially involving risk-management solutions focused on interest rates and foreign exchange
- Funding and liquidity management
We are ...
... where our clients are: in our home region of North Germany, in the metropolitan regions of Germany and in selected foreign locations. The two head offices of the Bank are located in Hamburg and Kiel.
Hamburg Commercial Bank Locations
Group key financials (IFRS)
|30 Sep 2018||31 Dec 2017|
|Total assets (€ bn)||61.3||70.4|
|Common Equity Tier 1 (CET1) capital ratio (in %)||16.1||15.41|
|Group net income before tax (€ mn)||8||-453|
1 From March 2018, the capital ratios will no longer be shown taking into account the regulatory relief effect of the federal state guarantee. To enable a comparison with the key capital figures as at the reporting date, “pro forma” ratios are shown as at 31 December 2017.
For further content swipe table to left or right.
Here you can find information about theMoody's and Standard & Poor's.
Against the background of the privatization completed on 28 November 2018 with the closing some arrangements have been made with regard to the proposed transition of HSH Nordbank from the voluntary institution protection scheme of the German Savings Banks Finance Group to the Private Banks deposit protection scheme.